Urinary incontinence is a medical term for when a person loses bladder control. It causes distress due to embarrassment and affects the person’s quality of life. The severity ranges from occasionally leaking urine to having an uncontrollable urge to urinate that's so sudden and strong you don't get to a bathroom in time.
What are the symptoms of incontinence? —
The 3 most common types are:
- Stress incontinence – People with stress incontinence leak urine when they laugh, cough, sneeze, or do anything that "stresses" the belly. Stress incontinence is most common in women, especially those who have had a baby.
- Urgency incontinence – People with urgency incontinence feel a strong need to urinate all of a sudden. Often the "urge" is so strong that they can't make it to the bathroom in time. "Overactive bladder" is another term for having a sudden, frequent urge to urinate. People with overactive bladder might or might not actually leak urine.
- Mixed incontinence – People with mixed incontinence have symptoms of both stress and urgency incontinence.
Is there anything I can do on my own to feel better? — Yes. Here are some steps that can help reduce urine leaks:
- Reduce the amount of liquid you drink, especially a few hours before bed.
- Cut down on any foods or drinks that make your symptoms worse. Some people find that alcohol, caffeine, or spicy or acidic foods irritate the bladder.
- Weight loss.
- If you have diabetes, keep your blood sugar as close to normal as possible.
- If you take medicines called diuretics, plan ahead. These medicines increase the need to urinate. Take them when you know you will be near a bathroom for a few hours or take them in the morning so that you don’t go in the middle of the night.
Though it occurs more often as people get older, urinary incontinence isn't an inevitable consequence of aging. For most people, simple lifestyle changes or medical treatment can ease discomfort or stop urinary incontinence.
How we can help!
At Home Health Supply, we are trained health professionals and we are dedicated to improving the quality of life for anyone dealing with incontinence
Call us today and we can help you choose the right product that is tailored to your everyday needs.
Our trained staff will talk to you to get to know you better and understand what your needs are. We then gather all the information and select samples that will match all the criteria that would fit your everyday need. We will send you all of these samples FREE OF CHARGE. We then determine the right product for you and arrange the best price so that you can be assured that you are getting a quality product at an affordable price.